Dr. Champ visits Prospect Hill

Dr. Champ visits Prospect Hill

By Stella Winter, Staff Reporter

PROSPECT HILL–The new superintendent of the Pelham Union Free School District, Dr. Cheryl H. Champ paid a visit to Prospect Hill on November 16th.

“I feel very blessed and excited,” Dr. Champ asserted.  “It’s such a great district.  It has been very busy but enjoyable.  Everybody has been very welcoming and I’ve been extremely impressed with the quality of teaching and learning that goes on each day.”

Dr. Champ, who received her Doctorate in Educational  Leadership from Manhatanville College and a Master’s in Education Administration from the College of St. Rose, was previously an assistant superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction for the Sewanhaka Central High School District in Florida Park, NY.  She came to Pelham with over 20 years of experience as an educator, having begun her career as a music teacher in South Carolina, North Carolina and upstate New York before being an assistant principal of Lakeland Copper Beech Middle School and principal of Lakeland High School in Yorktown, NY.

Dr. Champ told the Lion Times some of her favorite things to do in both professional life and during her spare time. “I enjoy cooking, reading, crafty kinds of things: sewing, knitting, canning.”  While being superintendent she likes to spend time at the schools because she gets to see “students and teachers doing what they do best.” But with being superintendent comes some challenges. Dr. Champ said, “I guess the biggest challenge this year so far has been helping the Board of Education understanding all the different facility needs and decide what to do about it.” Dr.  Champ was surprised at how busy her new job is even though she had worked very closely with the superintendent from her last school.

Like most professionals, Dr. Champ has some goals for the school year.

“My goals are to build relationships, get to know as many people in the school,” she stated.  She is also planning to  improve things even more.  Dr. Champ liked the idea of having an outdoor classroom at Prospect Hill.  “I love the idea of an outdoor classroom because it extends learning opportunities outside the regular classroom.”

“All the students here seem so nice, so caring,” Dr. Cheryl H. Champ said with a blissful expression on her face. “Very generous and hard-working. Those are the qualities that will make them now and for the rest of their lives.”